UGHHHH. This has gotten out of hand for sure. Our kids are out of school until after Spring Break. Things are changing by the hour. We have to social distance ourselves, but we have kids that live in two different houses and are exposed to completely different people half of their lives.
It’s probably a good idea to have that talk/email with your kids’ other parents for this situation. Find out what will work best for both families. That might be staying at one house until this lets up, or it might be sticking to the regular schedule. Take the time to figure out what works best for your unique stepfamily situation.
Take this time to bond with the kids. I’m personally taking a break from social media. I think I need to do this for myself. I want to be present while my kids are home and I want to take full advantage of this time with them. Unfortunately, it’s pouring down rain right now, so we are literally stuck inside for the time being. I’m not fully prepared yet, but below is what we will be doing the next couple of weeks:
- Schoolwork. I really felt at the beginning we needed to let them ride this out when at first we were getting a two week break, but now I feel like the kids need to stick to a routine. They need to wake up and get busy. We need to have a daily list and it can be anything from school work to Bible lessons to skills such as canning or gardening.
- CHORES-make them work! Have the kids help you deep clean the house.
- Exercise-keep them active. There is free online yoga (this is one of my fav apps and it’s free until April 1st https://www.downdogapp.com/) and workouts that you can have them do.
Make it part of their daily routine. The kids are getting ready for a run below…..it wasn’t easy making them do it 🙂
- Board games-have some fun together.
- Watch movies together as a family.
I think being present is key right now. This is an uncertain time not only for us but for our young ones. They need to feel loved and secure right now.
To be honest with y’all this isn’t going to be easy for me. I love all of our kids, but too much time at home in our small house…..I might lose my mind 🙂 Trying to stay positive, getting outside a lot, and trying to focus on all the good is hopefully going to help me survive this situation. I’m going to need prayers and positive vibes for sure. I will be sending the same your way. Make sure to message me if you have any issues that come up and want to talk. I love talking to you all.
Good luck my friends! We will all survive this!
“Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” ~ Philippians 4:6-7
♥ The Blended Tribe